[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] demux: mkv: support OPUS/EXPERIMENTAL codec ID

Tristan Matthews tmatth at videolan.org
Thu Feb 15 22:34:57 CET 2018

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 11:25 AM, Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> wrote:
> Le jeudi 15 février 2018, 16:44:29 EET Tristan Matthews a écrit :
>> > IMO it's not a good move to support temporary versions of a binary format.
>> > How many versions were there ?
>>
>> 5 it looks like.
> (...)
>> It looks like Moritz did that to incrementally add a few features in
>> between his initial patch and the final one, namely:
> (...)
>
> Why should we support draft MKV bindings?

According to the ticket, we already did up until at least VLC 2.2.8,
this is a regression in 3.0 [1]

> For the sake of the argument, we are
> not going to support all draft versions of AV1, are we?

We never did, so no, there would be no point in adding it now.

>> > Can it be used for
>> > other experiments in the future ?
>>
>> That seems unlikely.
>
> I think we have better things to do that add hacks to support 5 different
> draft versions of a spec.

The only hack is not rejecting the CodecID, otherwise of course it
doesn't make sense to add other special case handling.

I could add a warning?

Best,
Tristan

[1] https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/19660