[vlc-devel] Removing libvlc_vlm_*

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Jul 11 19:57:26 CEST 2018

	Hello,

VLM is a proof-of-concept of multiple inputs in a single VLC process. It
achieves that with some ad-hoc configuration file/script syntax. Its usability
is not exactly great, but, subject to stream output limitations, it works.

AFAIK, "production" VLC users often just spawn one VLC process per input. The
only VLC feature that actually mandates VLM is the RTSP VoD server - which
hardly anybody uses. I guess though that a few people actually use VLM through
configuration files and/or the remote control or HTTP interfaces.

However, there is also a LibVLC API for VLM. But it just wraps the VLM
scripting language in thin wrappers with no abstraction to speak of. Basically
everything is strings with hardly even explanations. If you want to use VLM,
you are generally better off spawning a child VLC process than using the
LibVLC VLM API. At least, a VLC crash will not take your application down with
it.

I am not aware of any real use of the LibVLC VLM API. Unsurprisingly, a search
only yields the source or documentation of VLC and VLC python bindings.

Given that is essentially unused and unusable, I would like to remove it. If
you know of a genuine use, please make yourself known. And to be clear, I only
want to remove the LibVLC VLM API, not the underlying VLM at this point.

--
雷米‧德尼-库尔蒙
http://www.remlab.net/