[vlc-devel] Detecting fullscreen under X on linux? (for MMAL vout)

John Cox jc at kynesim.co.uk
Thu Jul 12 12:51:01 CEST 2018

Hi All

I'm (still) working on the MMAL modules in VLC. The mmal vout module is
only really useful for fullscreen work or cases where there is no other
output method.  That said it is a much more efficient method of getting
pictures onto the screen than going via X and on a Pi that is important,
so it is definitely worth using if you want fullscreen output whether
launched from X or not.

As it stands, opening the module is gated by vout_display_IsWindowed(vd)
which always (at least as far as I've been able to detect) returns true
when launched from X no matter whether or not there are fullscreen
requests on the command line.  There are various fullscreen events and
cfg fields but they seem to be ifdefed out for everything except Windows
& OS2.  Given that, what would be the approved method of detecting a
fullscreen request so output can be routed via the mmal vout rather than
the X vout?

Many thanks

John Cox