[vlc-devel] Detecting fullscreen under X on linux? (for MMAL vout)

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Jul 12 17:45:44 CEST 2018

	Hello,

Le torstaina 12. heinäkuuta 2018, 13.51.01 EEST John Cox a écrit :
> As it stands, opening the module is gated by vout_display_IsWindowed(vd)
> which always (at least as far as I've been able to detect) returns true
> when launched from X no matter whether or not there are fullscreen
> requests on the command line.

vout_display_IsWindowed() indicates whether the video is to be rendered within
a provided window, or not. This has nothing to do with fullscreen state.

> Given that, what would be the approved method of detecting a
> fullscreen request so output can be routed via the mmal vout rather than
> the X vout?

Plain and simple: There are no ways to do that with X11.

The X11 protocols does not expose that information to clients. You can track
the fullscreen status of the window with X11 events, but a window may well be
fullscreen and yet invisible, or under other windows. You can also track
visibility, but the reported value is typically a lie by the compositor.

Maybe the rPI X server has an extension devised for this. But otherwise, there
are no methods, let alone approved methods.

--
雷米‧德尼-库尔蒙
http://www.remlab.net/