[vlc-devel] Combining Decode & Scale / Convert?

John Cox jc at kynesim.co.uk
Thu Jun 21 17:53:42 CEST 2018

Hi All

I'm working on updating the mmal module for the Raspberry Pi (as it
stands it doesn't compile - though that is an easy fix).  I'm new to VLC
so please bear with me.

The Pi h/w has a converter/scaler, and I can probably make it work as a
separate module but it is noticably more efficient both in memory (video
buffers) and speed to have it directly attached to the decoder.  Is
there any way of routing video filter resize/format requests to the
decoder so it can produce the wanted display picture buffer format
directly?

I have read the wiki pages on writing filter modules, but if there are
modules that already do this or other things I should read that answer
my question please point me at them.

Many thanks

JC