[vlc-devel] Regarding building of VLC using clang/LLVM on Linux/Ubuntu

Raghavan Santhanam raghavanil4m at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 06:55:57 CEST 2018

Hello,

I wanted to check upon the feasibility of building VLC using Clang/LLVM on
Linux/Ubuntu. I saw "... but *clang/LLVM* are known to work as well"
at https://wiki.videolan.org/UnixCompile/. In my independent effort, I am
experimenting/researching on bringing up different software components
built using clang/LLVM on/for Linux/Ubuntu - so far have been successful
with Linux kernel(4.15.7, 4.15.10, 4.15.11, and the latest stable 4.15.12),
Nvidia driver(390.25 and the latest 390.42 for GTX GeForce 860M graphics
card), VirtualBox(latest 5.2.8 - there's only FreeBSD/clang port as of now
but not a Linux one), etc. My reports on these(VirtualBox report is not yet
updated) can be found here :
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2386423. So, on that note, I started
using clang/LLVM for building VLC on Linux/Ubuntu - before that,
I wanted to see if it's fully supported or there's some still pending work
or known issues for Linux target?

Thanks,
Raghavan