[vlc-devel] vaapi via drm broken

Thomas Guillem thomas at gllm.fr
Tue Nov 27 11:30:58 CET 2018

Hello Philip,

Yes, you are right.

vaapi_drm works only with un-direct rendering (vaapi buffer is copied to a software buffer).

I don't think we can fix that for 3.0 since it need a lot of rework.

And for VLC 4.0, vaapi_drm will become the default for direct and un-direct rendering. Indeed, we'll change the picture allocation model. They will be allocated by the decoder (vaapi_drm for linux/vaapi) and not by the vout anymore (vaapi_x11).