[vlc-devel] RFC: vlc_player: SPU tracks: subtitles, DVD/Bluray menus and teletext

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Mon Oct 15 16:34:35 CEST 2018

Hello,

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018, at 05:48, Thomas Guillem wrote:
>  - 1/ Do we want to expose all SPUS from the track listing ? Is it
> coherent to expose the DVD menu track (the one that highlight) ? IMHO,

Absolutely no reason to expose those.
DVDnav shouldn't even expose that as a track.

>  - 2/ What about teletext ? I think we want to expose the teletext page

Teletext works fine today in the menu (aka, you activate it, it activates the ttxt to the right page)
What do you want to change here?

> that are closed captions, (generally magazine=8, page >= 0x88), and hide
> the teletext menu (magazine = 1, page = 0) from the track listing. Users

This is already what we have.

> will be able to select teletext subtitles via the subtitle track menu,
> and activate the teletext menu via a specfic vlc player call. Questions:
> are we sure that the menu is always 100 ?
>
>  - 3/ Do we want to keep the name "SPU" ? It's a VLC internal term. If
> we hide SPU tracks that are not subtitles (DVD/Bluray menus and teletext
> menu), we could name it "Subtitle".

Depends where. Internally, SPU does not matter.

Outside, to the user, subtitle or subs.

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf -  President
+33 672 704 734