[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] src/darwin: re-write netconf to return specific proxies for requested schemes (closes #21150)

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne at videolan.org
Wed Sep 12 10:43:20 CEST 2018

Hello,

> On 12. Sep 2018, at 08:23, Steve Lhomme <robux4 at ycbcr.xyz> wrote:
>
> On 11/09/2018 21:57, Thomas Guillem wrote:
>> Maybe git push --force revert to fix bisect. And push an objective C static lib for netconf foo.
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 11, 2018, at 20:43, Hugo Beauzée-Luyssen wrote:
>>> On Tue, Sep 11, 2018, at 4:27 PM, Felix Paul Kühne wrote:

>>> Moin moin,
>>>
>>> This breaks the build on my machine (debian testing):
>>>   OBJCLD   libvlccore.la
>>> libtool: link: unable to infer tagged configuration
>>> libtool:   error: specify a tag with '--tag'
>>> make[3]: *** [Makefile:2436: libvlccore.la] Error 1
>>>
>>> That's the usual "any non-C file will cause a non-C linker to be used"
>>> issue, I suppose you're in for creating a convenience library :)
>>> I'm not sure why the buildbot is fine with this, but it's definitely
>>> using the obj-C linker instead of the C linker
>>> (https://jenkins.videolan.org/job/vlc-continuous/job/vlc-cont-debian-x86_64/lastSuccessfulBuild/consoleFull)
>
> If it's a linker issue moving the code in a separate library will likely pull the same things to link and fail ?

I doubt it. The linker issue was mainly on Debian which supports ObjC compilation and decided that since there is a .m file in the libvlccore.la sources list, it shall use the OBJCLD. However, that one doesn’t seem to work.
The intermediate static library Thomas suggested and which I implemented in my revised patch sent last night should mitigate the issue as we had a similar scenario within the NPAPI plugin.

> So far we have no Obj-C file or C++ file in the core+compat code. Is adding an Obj-C file in there safe ?

From an appleOS perspective, I see no reason why this shouldn’t be safe. It is Foundation-only ObjC code, which does not leak beyond the functions it is running in. I’d be happy to learn about any problems you might expect.

Best regards,

Felix