[vlc-devel] libvlc stuttering issue on android

Nikolay Podonin nikolay.p at fora-soft.com
Thu Apr 18 13:41:34 CEST 2019

Hello, folks!

I am developing an application for Android-TV, using libvlc, and I have a
problem I couldn't solve myself nor find the solution anywhere on the web.

When playback is starting, the following always happens: for a fleeting
second playback starts - both the sound and the first frame of video are
being reproduced but then playback is suddenly terminated (the image and
sound are frozen for a few seconds). Then playback proceeds in a normal
way. This issue affects the performance in a very unpleasant way: for a
user, switching between TV channels it looks like constant stammers.

As for everything else, libvlc is the most convenient tool I know, and I
really do not want to give up on it. Maybe there is an obvious solution I
couldn't find, so I would be very grateful if you help me with any
instructions that may work for this issue.

Approximately at the moment of stuttering, the following is written in the
logs:

W/VLC: [94a7c9b0/389c] libvlc audio output: playback way too early
(-719930): playing silence
D/VLC: [94a7c9b0/389c] libvlc audio output: inserting 31748 zeroes

Best regards, Nick.