[vlc-devel] Software decoding in Hardware buffers

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Aug 8 18:27:16 CEST 2019

Le torstaina 8. elokuuta 2019, 15.29.30 EEST Steve Lhomme a écrit :
> Any opinion ?

I don't see why we should mess the architecture for a hardware-specific
implementation-specific unmaintained module.

Even when the GPU uses the same RAM as the CPU, it typically uses different
pixel format, tile format and/or memory coherency protocol, or it might simply
not have a suitable IOMMU. As such, VLC cannot render directly in it.

And if it could, then by definition, it implies that the decoder and filters can
allocate and *reference* picture buffers as they see fit, regardless of the
hardware. Which means the software on CPU side is doing the allocation. If so,
then there are no good technical reasons why push cannot work - misdesigning
the display plugin is not a good reason.

--
レミ・デニ-クールモン
http://www.remlab.net/