[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] skins2: ensure playlist gets stopped before terminating vlc.

Alexandre Janniaux ajanni at videolabs.io
Tue Dec 3 19:28:07 CET 2019

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 03, 2019 at 08:06:49PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le tiistaina 3. joulukuuta 2019, 15.14.27 EET Alexandre Janniaux a écrit :
> > There is no example of how it should be done.
>
> The problem that Erwan describes, where the same system resources sustain both
> the GUI and the video window but it's undefined which gets released first, is a
> text book case of reference counting. Surely, you don't need an example of
> reference counting. Thus, that problem is entirely within the plugin that
> contains the GUI and window provider, and does not concern the core in any
> way.

I agree that refcounting solve this, as I mentioned it in
previous mails, but don't agree that it is the correct
solution in a case where the two resources have a
hierarchical links and which is solvable without refcount.

Refcounting comes with its own flaws and is far harder to
implement in the current state for the reasons your mention
below.