[vlc-devel] [RFC 00/82] Update Qt to use the new player/playlist API and use QML engine

Martin Storsjö martin at martin.st
Fri Feb 1 14:09:05 CET 2019

On Fri, 1 Feb 2019, Pierre Lamot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The main goals of this patchset are:
>
>  - use the new player / playlist API in the Qt interface,
>  - update internal UI models to be usable from QML.
>  - update the UI to use a modern engine (QML) and give VLC a fresh look
>  - provide an integration of the medialibrary within the desktop UI
>
> secondary goals are:
>
>  - be able to navigate and use the interface with a keyboard / remote
>    controler.
>
> So ... this is a huge patchset, we wanted to port the player/playlist API and change
> the engine at the same time to avoid breaking the interface twice by doing one
> then the other.
>
> the patches is composed in two main parts, first the port to the new
> player/playlist API, then the integration of the QML UI

General question about this: Will the old Qt Widgets based UI be kept
alive meanwhile, or is it a complete switch? QML/QtDeclarative requires
QtOpenGL, and this isn't available on Windows on ARM, unless you build Qt
with ANGLE (which isn't trivial to cross compile). I've been talking to
Hugo about this earlier. As desktop OpenGL drivers are what they are, it
might also be safer to use ANGLE even for x86 platforms where OpenGL
otherwise normally is available.

So question in TL;DR form:
- Will the old Qt gui be kept alive still?
- Will someone make an effort to cross compile ANGLE for Qt, to allow
QML/QtDeclarative to run without desktop opengl drivers?

// Martin