[vlc-devel] [RFC] Merging extras/tools & contribs

Martin Storsjö martin at martin.st
Fri Feb 8 11:30:25 CET 2019

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019, Hugo Beauzée-Luyssen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A few words of context: we (well, Pierre) started looking into using qmlcachegen to pre-compile our QML files. It works nicely on linux, but things get trickier when cross compiling. The tool is in a separate Qt package (qtdeclarative), and requires Qt to be built (or at least a minimal subset of it, ie. QtBootstrap)
> Said tool will therefor look for installed Qt bits in the contribs $prefix, which also contains (or is likely to contain) an install of winpthreads, and therefor a pthread.h. The fun begins when the tool tries to use pthread.h assuming it's a regular linux pthread implementation, but ends up using the winpthread's one.
>
> TL;DR: Mixing native build & cross compilation in the same folders is
> not a good idea and will cause pain, if it hasn't already (hint: it
> already has)

+1 on the general idea. Anything adding $PREFIX/bin to the path during the
contribs build is wrong/broken, or during the main vlc build itself for
that matter.

I don't have much else to add on the matter. If you bootstrap two contrib
build dirs, one native and one for the target, it should be possible to do
what you want. You'll end up extracting the qt source twice though, but
aside from that, I think it should work pretty well.

What's missing from contrib today is probably mostly looking for whether
native build tools are available in $PATH.

// Martin