[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] decoder: add Destroy helper function for decoder owners

Steve Lhomme robux4 at ycbcr.xyz
Tue Feb 19 08:13:36 CET 2019

On 19/02/2019 08:03, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2019, at 08:01, Steve Lhomme wrote:
>>   > I really prefer having a crash (via assert/ASAN) when a client is
>> misusing an API (calling Destroy with a freed pointer) instead of
>> ignoring it.
>>
>> This is true when calling Destroy twice is a bug. It isn't with this
> Then assert() it.

I'm not sure I'm following. Would you assert when calling
decoder_Destroy() with a NULL decoder (meaning it doesn't exist at all,
not even been through decoder_Init) ? Or in the solution I removed where
you'd call decoder_Destroy() with a holder than has been emptied, which
is not a bug at all.

Or you mean assert when decoder_Destroy() is passed an already freed
pointer ? In which case no assert will help detect a double free.

As a more general remark, I think it's odd that rather than removing a
class of bugs, we prefer to keep it and rely on tools to find them for
us, when they eventually occur.