[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] decoder: make decoder_Clean() public

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Feb 20 16:30:46 CET 2019

Le keskiviikkona 20. helmikuuta 2019, 13.50.13 EET Steve Lhomme a écrit :
> On 20/02/2019 12:30, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> > We agreed that each decoder will have its own picture buffer
> > management, a.k.a. pool. I don't think we said that the decoder core
> > would take care of it; in fact, I'm pretty sure we said it wouldn't,
> > at least not always.
>
> We said the va pool will have to take care of it, yes. The rest was up
> in the air. But IMO rather that changing all the decoders we have it's
> better to keep them working with an external pool that they don't know
> about, for now.

Such a pool does not belong in the video format update, where it would be
created even for decoders that don't need it, and/or cannot use it.

That includes VA, indeed. But it also includes any decoder where the allocated
picture buffer format may (transiently) not match the decoded picture format
due to format change.

For backward source compatibility, decoder_NewPicture() is already de-inlined.
Now you just need to remove video.buffer_new and handle buffer management
generically there, using a pool or whatever turns out to be most suitable.

--
Реми Дёни-Курмон
http://www.remlab.net/