[vlc-devel] Vout Workshop

Steve Lhomme robux4 at ycbcr.xyz
Thu Feb 21 09:13:07 CET 2019

On 20/02/2019 17:52, RĂ©mi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> * PUSH
> (...)
>
> Out of scope.

Since everyone seems to agree on this I think we need to find a way to
move forward.

I've spent a lot of time playing with the code implementing a version of
push/video context in 4.0. The result is a WIP branch:
https://code.videolan.org/robUx4/vlc/tree/push/45

I got software/hardware playback working, snapshots, transcoding, video
filtering/converting all using the video context.

The branch is very dirty with many back and forth solution testing, some
TODO added and fixed. There's also plenty of Linux I didn't try, VDPAU
being the most tricky to change to use the video context. At least a
quick comparison with master gives you an idea of what will be affected
by the video context. I tried to as minimal changes to master (hence
still using a decoder pool for decoders and a display pool for displays).

Since I seem to disagree on the technical solutions we should use, I'll
let Remi and Thomas who know all this stuff way better than me do it in
a cleaner way. I will continue helping on the issues I found, reviewing
patches and doing the D3D/win32 parts.