[vlc-devel] Decoder/Display implementation selection

Steve Lhomme robux4 at ycbcr.xyz
Thu Jul 4 13:17:28 CEST 2019

On 2019-07-04 12:42, Jai Luthra wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 04, 2019 at 09:51:01AM +0200, Steve Lhomme wrote:
>> On 2019-07-04 9:23, Thomas Guillem wrote:
>>> If the dec-dev succeed to load one of these backend, it is very
>>> likely that the hw decoder will succeed too. So we don't have your
>>> problem on Linux.
>>
>> The HW may be loadable but the codec/profile not supported. For
>> example as things are now NVDec only handles H264. So if you pick that
>> automatically all the time, without knowing the codec, you'd never
>> load the VDPAU dec-dev even though it can do HEVC (you can extend that
>> to 10 bits, 4:4:4, etc instead of just the codec).
>>
>> We still need to be able to iterate between all the HW decoders before
>> we pick one.
>>
>> NVDec being a decoder, that means once it's started, it might eat data
>> before it selects a profile or realize it cannot handle it. We should
>> fallback to lavc then. But from what I understand restarting the
>> decoder will lose the bits it has already eaten ?
>
> NVDec has a 'get device capabilities' API we can use to check if the
> given codec+chroma+bitdepth is supported by the device.
>
> If we probe bitdepth and chroma using the SPS in fmt_in.p_extra, then we
> can call this api from the OpenDecoder callback itself, and fail there
> if the profile isn't supported without eating up packets.
>
> Although I'm not sure if p_extra is always populated, but usually demux
> module does that?

You can check with TS for H264.

But in VP8/VP9 there's no p_extra in general. For VP9 which has a
profile for 10 bits it's a problem. We have to probe the data to find
which profile it's using.

For H264, HEVC, AV1 we probably have the demuxer/packetizer p_extra in
the decoder. Maybe we need a VP9 packetizer and force using it when we
don't have a p_extra.

>> (we could also support QSV decoders in the future which might support
>> more codec/profiles than DXVA, so the issue is not just with NVDec)
>
> I believe QSV can also tell if it can handle a profile or not via the
> MFXVideoDECODE_Init call.

Yes, all hardware decoders should have this capability.