[vlc-devel] [RFC] LibVLC playlist

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Jun 11 12:25:22 CEST 2019

Hi,

I don't think we need a playlist management API in LibVLC. Most, if not all, apps would be better off managing their equivalent concept of a playlist internally.

If that concept is significantly different from VLC's, then that's obvious.
Even if that concept is roughly the same as VLC, it's simpler to manage playlist items with the app's programming language/framework paradigms than through LibVLC.

However, I think that LibVLC must be able to play items that happen to be "directories", whether it's an actual directory or a playlist manifest or whatever. Apps should have the choice to extract the directory items and manage them in their own ways *or* to play the directory as if it was a single media.

Br,