[vlc-devel] Push Model Issue

Thomas Guillem thomas at gllm.fr
Wed Jun 12 17:25:54 CEST 2019

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019, at 16:58, Steve Lhomme wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Following the vout workshop we took some decisions regarding how the
> hardware information will be pushed by the decoder with help from the
> display module (decoder hint, decoder device, decoder context in reverse
> order).
>
> I started implemented the decoder device for D3D11 and D3D9 and realized
> there is a problem with D3D9/DXVA2.
>
> For D3D9 the "decoder device" could contain either a IDirect3D9* or a
> IDirect3DDevice9*. The "decoder context" definitely needs a
> IDirect3DDevice9* (it uses IDirect3DDeviceManager9::ResetDevice to link
> the API to get a decoder and the actual device). But to create a
> IDirect3DDevice9* this cannot be done by the decoder because it needs
> the HWND that will be used to render with this device (or NULL or no
> display will occur). It cannot be the parent HWND (the one provided by
> our vout_window_t) it has to be the one that the display module creates
> internally (see the win32/window.c code).
>
> It works as it is now because the display module creates its HWND, then
> the IDirect3DDevice9* for it and it's shared with the decoder.
>
> In push it would seem logical to pass the HWND to whoever will create
> the IDirect3DDevice9*, likely the "decoder device" or the decoder (in
> the "decoder context"). But the display module may be reset completely
> for the same decoder, losing this HWND that the decoder is now tied to.
> Closing the display module will make the decoder unusable because it
> relies on the HWND that is now gone.
>
> 1/ It's possible to get around this by having the display module create
> a new IDirect3DDevice9* for its HWND each time it's opened. The
> IDirect3DDeviceManager9::ResetDevice() will then be reset in the
> decoder, provided this new device is propagated to the decoder when it
> changes. This is not very push model-like. And even then the
> ResetDevice, as the name suggests, means the previous decoder handle
> cannot be used anymore, including the pictures it holds. So even if it
> is a push-model it would still very much depends on the display module
> lifecycle.

I would prefer 1/ then.
So we need a hack for D3D9. Do you know if it will be deprecated some days ? Maybe for VLC 5.0 or 6.0 ?

The VD display is always created from RequestVout() that is called from the decoder. Maybe, we could put a hack/callback in order to get the "reset state" of the vd plugin from here.