[vlc-devel] Subtitles auto-sync

Rémi Bèges remi.beges at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 16:13:24 CET 2019

Hello,

I've recently built a subtitle synchronizer simple machine learning
techniques (some similar techniques can be found online), it works quite
well and I'm thinking about integrating it into VLC in the form of a
plugin. I can be wrong but I don't think it's already done as a VLC plugin.

I'm reaching out to the mailing list to get feedback, I've seen some
requests on the forums about this feature that date a while back. Is it a
feature you feel would be interesting as a VLC plugin ? Many people I know,
myself included would really like not having to bother with any other
software than VLC for automatically synced subtitles, but I'd like to know
if this is a localized thing or general trend, and if it's worth
implementing or not.

On the technical side, synchronization itself takes ~ 5 seconds (audio
extraction not included). Extracting the audio from the file is the longest
part, it takes ~30s for a 500MB/50 minutes video.

Is VLC capable of doing audio extraction quickly and exposing this data to
the plugin ? Otherwise, I'm guessing it is possible to synchronize chunk
after chunk, extracting audio by chunks of 10 minutes should be super fast
and invisible to the user.

Thanks for the feedback,
Best,