[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Remove libvlc_free

Jeremy Vignelles jeremy.vignelles at dev3i.fr
Tue May 21 22:51:28 CEST 2019

So, what did the technical comittee decided in this regard?

> That means libvlc users in other languages have to make a call to the C
> runtime by themselves ? Right now it was possible to just take the
> libvlc DLL and never have to deal with C at all.

Indeed, this is what have been done so far with LibVLCSharp for strings returned from libvlc and marked as "you must free them". Since .net does not have any implementation for freeing things from the native side.

One might argue that the module that does the allocation needs to free it. In other words, I find it quite logical that the memory allocated from libvlc returns to libvlc.