[vlc-devel] Video output size policy

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne at videolan.org
Wed May 29 13:38:49 CEST 2019

Hello,

> On 29. May 2019, at 09:03, Thomas Guillem <thomas at gllm.fr> wrote:

>>> I don't really know the background of either one choice or the other, but
>>> resizing when the source format change would raise usability issue with
>>> adaptive streaming, wouldn't it ?
>>
>> Either options will cause issues on format changes, in different circumstances.
>>
>> If the resolution of an adaptive stream increases, the window should not keep
>> the old smaller resolution size, otherwise the user won't even notice that the
>> resolution increased.
>
> Most people playing adaptive content don't know what is adaptive, no ? It may feel weird for them to have the window moving in the middle of the stream.

I definitely agree that most people don’t understand that aspect. However, there are absolutely no complains about this as it is the behavior on desktop platforms we are shipping since the introduction of HLS support. On mobile / embedded, we typically have a fixed video size so it’s just the quality that changes.

Cheers,

Felix