[vlc-devel] UCRT support in MinGW-w64

Stephen Kitt skitt at debian.org
Thu Nov 21 13:22:23 CET 2019

Hi,

I’m the maintainer of the MinGW-w64 toolchain in Debian. I believe VLC uses
that for its Windows builds; is that correct?

I’m wondering what your thoughts are regarding UCRT support. Currently the
MinGW-w64 toolchain in Debian targets MSVCRT by default; this can be
overridden by rewriting spec files, but the result isn’t entirely
satisfactory since the GCC DLLs still use MSVCRT. So I’m pondering switching
the default to UCRT, to better match what Visual Studio does nowadays, and
allow targeting UWP without too many contorsions...

Another possibility, albeit rather more complex on my end, would be to add -m
options to GCC, with multiple builds of the DLLs. That would also allow me to
provide DW2 and SJLJ support for Win32.

What do you think?

Regards,

Stephen