[vlc-devel] UCRT support in MinGW-w64

Martin Storsjö martin at martin.st
Fri Nov 22 10:55:39 CET 2019

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019, Martin Storsjö wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Nov 2019, Stephen Kitt wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’m the maintainer of the MinGW-w64 toolchain in Debian. I believe VLC uses
>> that for its Windows builds; is that correct?

Also, regarding this particular point; I believe that has been the case so
far, yes.

But I've also understood that future releases might be made with my llvm
based toolchain instead (https://github.com/mstorsjo/llvm-mingw/). I
currently use UCRT as the default there, but we've discussed that any real
release of VLC with this toolchain would need to be made with msvcrt.

FYI Hugo and Konstantin, I recently added a dockerfile option for
building toolchain docker images with a different one, see
https://github.com/mstorsjo/llvm-mingw/commit/b5ae2b5cc7d8f99d5d3915f519b883a56db8aaf2.
By adding --build-arg DEFAULT_CRT=msvcrt to the docker build, you can
build a differently configured toolchain docker image.

// Martin