[vlc-devel] lua playlist for .m3u

Romain Vimont rom1v at videolabs.io
Tue Oct 1 11:41:35 CEST 2019

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 10:38:39PM +0900, Simon Walter wrote:
> I would like to write a playlist plugin for .m3u files. However, the
> builtin one is always being used (demux?). Why is this and how can I
> make VLC use my .m3u reader?

How did you write your playlist plugin?

The M3U playlist import is a "stream_filter" having score 310
(modules/demux/playlist/playlist.c).

So to write your own M3U playlist import, you need to write your own
module having an higher score. For example, with:

    set_capability("stream_filter", 400);

> The README.txt for the plugins are not correct.

What is not correct? Which file exactly?

> So I would like to ask if /usr/lib/vlc/lua/playlist/ is the correct
> kind of plugin to write a .m3u playlist parser.

Lua playlist plugins have scrore 302 (modules/lua/playlist.c), so they
will never be tried if the demux module can handle it. This is on
purpose I guess: the lua plugins are there to extend support for new
stuff, not to replace what is already handled.

Out of curiousity, why do you need another M3U parser?