[vlc-devel] Regarding the HTTP POST implementation

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun Oct 6 16:35:16 CEST 2019

Le tiistaina 1. lokakuuta 2019, 12.16.01 EEST Aniketh Girish a écrit :
> Thanks for your response. Yes, you are right, one cannot implement
> something meaningfully and reasonably without a use case. Without a
> particular use case, I can implement this within 50 lines of code. But that
> is not what we want in here, right? That is exactly why I'm asking the
> reason for it being mentioned as a bounty in the first place.

AFAIR, some devs wanted POST for some use cases, but I cannot comment on their
behalf. There is currently one POST usage in the audioscrobbler module.

> Just another question that I had, why working on the implementation of
> different HTTP methods differently?

Useful APIs are rather different for GET than POST.

> ie, why implementing PUT separately, and POST separately?

PUT is used to write a file over the network.
POST is more of a toolkit for request/response messaging.

The usage patterns and thus the API designs would be quite different.

--
Реми Дёни-Курмон
http://www.remlab.net/