[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] posix: rely on F_DUPFD_CLOEXEC

Thomas Guillem thomas at gllm.fr
Tue Sep 24 08:28:45 CEST 2019

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019, at 08:07, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Hi,
>
> No, people do not want mandatory review. That's the suggestion of mandatory review that brought this shitty ambience in the first place, and the UI brokeness.

We had a great GSOC. Students were very happy to work on the QT part.

> That and you picking on and to a lesser extent on François.

I speak to Francois regularly, we don't have any problems at all, we are not picking each other. We complete and help each other on different part of VLC.

> Besides, none of the committers, except me, have abode by the week-long wait implied by mandatory review. Also nobody addressed the problem of lack of reviewers in some areas (or time).

It's very easy to maintain lot of branches with git. The problem with the ML is that we can forget easily to push a past branch. This will be solved with gitlab.

> And *you* do not follow mandatory review at all. It was obvious that wrecking the main UI would demotivate existing devs, rebute potential new ones and take months (and counting) to fix - exactly like in 0.9 development. Two people objected (not counting packagers even).

I don't remember people complaining before I pushed. I remember asking that I needed to push this Qt work and that it would break a lot of things (that I listed by creating track tickets). Francois complained after, I don't know any packagers that complained to me.

And it was not my decision to push that work, it comes from VideoLan board. I was just the soldier here. I told them that I didn't like breaking the master, it was dully noted. Having said that, I don't regret it anymore since it allowed to move forward and work with external contributors (like GSOC students) on that part.

> And yet you merged it. That's not ho mandatory review works. that's how you ruin the working ambience.

I know that the open source world can be really tough, specially with junior developers. That is why I always try to be nice with everyone, I don't hesitate to respond to private query and help them. I don't think I'm ruining the ambience at all.

And it works, few external contributors told me or other developers that it was very nice working with me (and I don't talk about clients).

Thomas