[vlc-devel] RIST Protocol: remove old rist modules and add new ones based on the librist library

Ilkka Ollakka ileoo at videolan.org
Sat Apr 18 16:04:31 CEST 2020

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 08:09:35PM -0400, Sergio M. Ammirata, Ph.D. wrote:

> I have created a new fork with just two commits to make it
> easy to read. One commit deletes the old modules and the
> next one creates the new ones.
> Can I get some feedback please? I am ready to submit a
> merge request.
> https://code.videolan.org/rist/vlc/-/commits/rist-dev
> Thanks,

Hi,

Didn't yet read the whole module code through, but I spotted that
modules use memcpy on quite core of write/read functions, in most cases
it means that they do lot of small copies. And in littlebit later you
check the side you have on creating rist_buffer and writing.

On BlockRist this looks like only way to do it for now, as librist
doesn't seem to support providing own allocation function. So similar
approach that is used in in avcodec-modules doesn't seem to be possible.

In access_output/rist.c:Write, Why not just queue blocks as they are and
write block at a time (and reduce it if it doesn't fit), as you anyway
loop until the buffer is empty? That looks like possible approach,
unless I missed something on how librist handles given buffers?

--
Ilkka Ollakka
"I only touch base with reality on an as-needed basis!"