[vlc-devel] [RFC 0/2] New executor API

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Aug 27 16:26:06 CEST 2020

Le torstaina 27. elokuuta 2020, 6.28.20 EEST Pierre Ynard via vlc-devel a
écrit :
> > It's not a question of use case. It's a question of why the generic
> > framework should have to care about a given aspect, consdering that
> > the specific runnable will have to do the heavy lifting anyhow.
>
> The task framework provides the convenient service of handling,
> registering and firing the timeouts.

Wasting a thread only to fire the time-out, instead of having proper time-outs
in the task-specific code.

> I think that's worth it: threading code can be hard and error-prone,

Well sorry but I find passing a time-out value to poll() or
vlc_cond_timedwait() much easier and less error-prone than having another
thread invoke an ad-hoc callback to wake up the task thread and modify the
task state.

--
Реми Дёни-Курмон
http://www.remlab.net/