[vlc-devel] [RFC 0/2] New executor API

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Aug 27 18:49:25 CEST 2020

Le torstaina 27. elokuuta 2020, 19.14.37 EEST Pierre Ynard via vlc-devel a
écrit :
> This doesn't necessarily make as much sense depending on whether you
> envision that the limiting factor demanding interruption will be
> processing power / the amount of work to do, or waiting on resources to
> become available.

If you look at the use cases, it's mostly I/O. There are no sane ways to
interrupt I/O.

With network I/O, poll() cannot easily be interrupted by an in-process event.

With local disk I/O, it's even worse. poll() returns immediately regardless of
data being available or not. The only way to pace is to run in a separate
process and lower the I/O priority of that process.

http://www.remlab.net/