[vlc-devel] [RFC 0/2] New executor API

Pierre Ynard linkfanel at yahoo.fr
Thu Aug 27 23:19:13 CEST 2020

> > I think it is a good thing that users don't have to implement
> > timeout and cancelation in two totally different ways.
>
> And I think it's very bad because generally you should handle those
> differently. One is an error, and the other is not.

Whether a timeout is an error can be a matter of semantics, or even
rather use. If you use the API as "run this task for me in a worker
thread, you have X seconds", then it is an error; if you use it as
"process as much of this stuff as you can, but stop after X seconds" or
even "spend all of X seconds computing and refining the result trying to
come up with the best possible answer", then timing out is not an error.
And sometimes it's a bit of both and a matter of interpretation.

--
Pierre Ynard
"Une âme dans un corps, c'est comme un dessin sur une feuille de papier."