[vlc-devel] [RFC 0/2] New executor API

Romain Vimont rom1v at videolabs.io
Fri Aug 28 18:43:47 CEST 2020

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 06:21:22PM +0200, Alexandre Janniaux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 05:31:02PM +0200, Romain Vimont wrote:

> > > Yes exactly. All the complexity comes from the very disagreeable decision to
> > > have the runner rather than the owner keep track of the tasks. If the owner
> > > keeps track of its tasks, it can interrupt them (due to stop or time-out)
> > > directly, and the tasks can notify their complexition directly as well.
> >
> > That's more or less what I quickly implemented on:
> > https://code.videolan.org/rom1v/vlc/commits/executor.18
> > https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2020-August/136784.html
> >
> > (the on_finished() callback could also be removed)
> >
> > The problem is that clients have to do a lot of (duplicate) work on
> > their own. The initial purpose was to replace background worker. A
> > minimal executor like this would only provide a small part of what
> > preparser/thumbnailer need.
> >
> > So if we do this, either we also implement a higher-level tool which
> > simplifies timeout and cancelation (vlc_higherlevel_executor_t ;)) or
> > every client just reimplement the whole timeout and cancelation on their
> > own. :/ (it's less helpful than background worker)
>
> I don't know Remi's stance, but if the goal is to simplify
> the background worker code, it's probably not to bring each
> and every features it had ad-hoc in the new code.
>
> I'm not against a higher-level tool if it proves to be
> needed but again I don't understand the «must reimplement
> the whole timeout and cancellation on their own» point
> since you need to implement it anyway in both case for
> the task.

That's partially true (and I'm sensible to this argument).

The idea was that once you implement it via the interrupt() callback,
you don't have to implement the timeout at all, and you don't have to
keep track of tasks just to cancel them on deletion (which can be easily
forgotten).

> > > It's not the first time that somebody implements a background runner in open-
> > > source C code, e.g. <linux/workqueue.h>. All you need is:
> > > - allocate runner,
> > > - queue runnable to the runner,
> > > - dequeue (cancel) runnable,
> > > - wait for quiescent state of runnable,
> > > - wait for quiescent state of whole runner,
> > > - destroy runner.
> > >
> > > Only the first function can fail and needs error handling. A runnable is just a
> > > single callback and either a pointer to itself or an opaque data pointer.
> >
> > The executor must be able to queue runnables anyway (we want to be able
> > to queue 100 preparsing requests even if there are 4 threads). So if the
> > caller just provides a runnable (a run callback) and a userdata pointer,
> > then the executor must be able to allocate something on _Submit() (so it
> > may fail) or limit the queue size (so it may also fail). Unless the
> > client also provides a structure with some data private to the executor
> > (e.g. a vlc_list node), but that looks ugly.
>
> The allocation could be done on the client side, potentially with
> a private data part, before being queued to the executor. Then the
> allocation can be expected to fail and signals the developer it
> must do the usual required checks.
>
> Something like,
>
>     struct vlc_task * task =
>         vlc_task_Create(sizeof private_data, runner_function);

So for the sole purpose of not returning an error in
vlc_executor_Submit(), we will force to use a separate function for
allocation (which may fail) so that _Submit() returns void? :/

This doesn't make much sense to me.

> Or maybe private data can just be attached as a void* anyway.

But if they are attached as void*, they need to be allocated elsewhere.