[vlc-devel] [RFC] rename contrib/bootstrap to contrib/configure

Alexandre Janniaux ajanni at videolabs.io
Sun Feb 2 13:12:51 CET 2020

Hi,

That would probably be an acceptable solution to the
documentation changes, but then you would have both
bootstrap and configure which probably defeat the goal to
avoid being misleading. IMHO if you want to do this, it's
better to only rename and adapt our documentation.

In addition, bootstrap doesn't really configure for a target
as:

+ calling bootstrap again won't recompile everything,
  regardless of whether you change the options or not.
+ it doesn't execute system checks that you can put to a
  config cache.

I'm not for or against this change, though, if you think it's
clearer. My point is that submitting it «because it's
misleading» feels wrong, and «so as to mimic autotools's
behaviour and convention» would be a better reason. It's not
like confusing bootstrap / configure for contribs would lead
to any consequence.

Regards,
--
Alexandre Janniaux