[vlc-devel] Creating a module

John Hanks jhanks at vsicorp.com
Fri Mar 6 04:40:39 CET 2020

I'm trying to learn how to add modules to the vlc player.  I'm new to
working with vlc and this mailing list seemed to be the closest match
for what I was looking for (I did not see one specifically referencing
'modules').  If I am posting this to the wrong list, please excuse my
ignorance and point me to the correct place.

I tried following the instructions on the page
'https://wiki.videolan.org/Hacker_Guide/How_To_Write_a_Module/'. I
copied the code at the top into hello.c and put the file in the
modules/control directory.

Following the instructions under 'Compiling your module', I added the
following lines to Makefile.am in the same directory:

libhello_plugin_la_SOURCES=  hello.c
libhello_plugin_la_CFLAGS=  $(AM_CFLAGS)
libhello_plugin_la_LIBADD=  $(AM_LIBADD)
libhello_plugin_la_DEPENDENCIES=
# Always compile the hello module:
libvlc_LTLIBRARIES+=  libhello_plugin.la When I go back to the 'top' and run 'make', I get these errors:
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/vsi/code/vlc3/vlc-3.0.8/modules' cd
.. && /bin/bash /home/vsi/code/vlc3/vlc-3.0.8/autotools/missing
automake-1.16 --foreign modules/Makefile modules/control/Makefile.am:76:
error: libvlc_LTLIBRARIES must be set with '=' before using '+='
modules/Makefile.am:32: 'modules/control/Makefile.am' included from here
modules/control/Makefile.am:76: error: 'libvlc_LTLIBRARIES' is used but
'libvlcdir' is undefined modules/Makefile.am:32:
'modules/control/Makefile.am' included from here
modules/control/Makefile.am:71: warning: variable
'libhello_plugin_la_SOURCES' is defined but no program or
modules/control/Makefile.am:71: library has 'libhello_plugin_la' as
canonical name (possible typo) modules/Makefile.am:32:
'modules/control/Makefile.am' included from here
modules/control/Makefile.am:73: warning: variable
'libhello_plugin_la_LIBADD' is defined but no program or
modules/control/Makefile.am:73: library has 'libhello_plugin_la' as
canonical name (possible typo) modules/Makefile.am:32:
'modules/control/Makefile.am' included from here
modules/control/Makefile.am:74: warning: variable
'libhello_plugin_la_DEPENDENCIES' is defined but no program or
modules/control/Makefile.am:74: library has 'libhello_plugin_la' as
canonical name (possible typo) modules/Makefile.am:32:
'modules/control/Makefile.am' included from here Makefile:12544: recipe
for target 'Makefile.in' failed It seems to have an error with every
line I added except the comment. What am I doing wrong? John