[vlc-devel] [RFC] Activate dav1d by default

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun Mar 29 22:10:34 CEST 2020

Le sunnuntaina 29. maaliskuuta 2020, 20.34.30 EEST Jean-Baptiste Kempf a écrit
:
> Hello,
>
> I am quite annoyed by distributions still not packaging dav1d, since the
> library is now out since 1.5y+.

Just about a month ago, the TC stated that 18 months is not long enough for a
required dependency.

So no.

> And that means our AV1 decoding on Linux is shitty.

And as we've seen in the past, requiring a new library or version will make
packager stick to old VLC versions, not add/update dependencies. Requiring a
library out of spite is a lose-lose proposition.

In the end, users get old buggy VLC and external devs get more build problems.
That's pretty much all.

http://www.remlab.net/