[vlc-devel] [RFC] Need for our own ASF demuxer

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Nov 3 15:06:25 CET 2020

Le tiistaina 3. marraskuuta 2020, 15.58.25 EET Paul B Mahol a écrit :
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 2:54 PM Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> wrote:
> > Le tiistaina 3. marraskuuta 2020, 14.07.23 EET Marvin Scholz a écrit :
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I was wondering whats the need for VLC having its own ASF demux,
> > > are there files/streams that can not be handled by the libavformat
> > > ASF demux?
> >
> > Yes. A quick look shows that the native demuxer supports controls that the
> > libavformat plugin does not.
>
> Examples?

If you are curious, you can read the code. ASF not my area of expertise.

> Note that there are 2 asf demuxers in lavf.

I don't think it matters here. Though it's concerning in its own right,
because it strongly implies that they have different bugs and limitations, and
VLC would have a hard time picking the right one...

--
雷米‧德尼-库尔蒙
http://www.remlab.net/