[vlc-devel] Display update/restart

Alexandre Janniaux ajanni at videolabs.io
Mon Nov 16 17:11:44 CET 2020

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 05:01:29PM +0100, Steve Lhomme wrote:
> On 2020-11-16 16:08, Thomas Guillem wrote:
> > Indeed, the more important, glitch-wise, is to keep the window enabled.
> >
> > Can we stop and start the 3 main vouts (gl, d3d9, d3d11) without any glitches? Even when changing the video size for example ?
>
> From what I understood at least on iOS the background becomes white if you
> remove the display module. But that's probably not hard to fix.

This might be tuned to keep the previous surface as long as we
don't disable the window or have a new surface to render. I'm
not sure it can be turned into glitch free though but we could
try.

> The issue is not the glitch. It's how long it's going to take to unload a
> display module and reload it, for a tiny change that would take almost no
> time to handle directly.

We should measure it. Shader recompilation is an issue but we
might workaround it with shader caching. Some platforms already
have transparent caching for this.

> The other issue, already mentioned in another email, is that the detection
> of format change is done on picture.next, not picture.current. So we would
> not display picture.current if we close the display when picture.next is
> just loaded.
>
> And there's also the question of getting picture.next from the deinterlacer.
> There's no way to put it back in the filter for the next display to get it.
>
> In short, it's a giant mess to handle with the current code.

I think it's more about defining the policy to make sense
of the mess, than handle this mess before. ;)

Regards,
--
Alexandre Janniaux
Videolabs