[vlc-devel] Some commits have disappeared

Pierre Ynard linkfanel at yahoo.fr
Tue Nov 17 14:23:09 CET 2020

> Which accusations are outrageous? I don't think I accused anyone.

Asserting a CoC violation and calling for sanctions, at a point when
we apparently didn't know yet if maybe Steve had withdrawn the code
himself, or if maybe it had been arranged and approved in private,
aren't exactly the best approach either.

I understand if you wanted to call attention to the seriousness of the
matter. But in general the goal of CoCs is to show that some things such
as interpersonal attacks are not condoned; it's not to be used as a tool
for interpersonal attacks and confrontation - yet that's exactly how it
has degenerated in this thread.

I mean, the wiki CoC page you linked even starts with a link to VideoLAN
Shared Values - a famous staple of American corporate hypocrisy. I'm
not saying that people who write those things do so with ill intents.
But everyone should be a little more mindful of what these things can
and can't do before wielding them. In particular, exactly none of this
is going to explain why Rémi feels the way he does about Steve, nor
resolve any grudge, nor make anyone as good-willed or cooperative as the
CoC or shared values aim to make us. And in this particular case, I'm
even skeptical that wielding the CoC and blame would even significantly
deter any negative behavior in the medium or long term.

--
Pierre Ynard
"Une âme dans un corps, c'est comme un dessin sur une feuille de papier."