[vlc-devel] setting up CI

Alexandre Janniaux ajanni at videolabs.io
Thu Oct 8 09:25:40 CEST 2020

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 07:59:09AM +0100, Lyndon Brown wrote:
> > For CI, you can just fork the code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc repo.
> > If you cannot fork, you probably want to ask on #videolan on IRC.
>
> Update: Last night I tried deleting and forking. It's now properly
> linked as a fork, which I think is important for MR submissions once
> that becomes possible so that's great, but no CI setup was copied.
>
> The CI/CD page instructs to place a gitlab yml config in the root of
> the repo. I know there's one in extras/. I tried copying that to the
> root dir in my master branch and pushing, but that alone did nothing. I
> think per the docs I additionally need "runners", but I'm lost there
> with no experience of setting this stuff up. My only prior experience
> is with making a pretty basic multi-platform travis setup for something
> else.
>
> Essentially what I'm after is some simple way to get my videolan repo
> to be linked up to the same testing suite as master and the rest of you
> guys so I can check things compile on the full set of platforms and
> config selections you're all testing on. Maybe that's only possible if
> my account were a member of the team? I don't know. The runners page
> did offer a few "shared runners" from other people, and said something
> about "group runners" being unavailable because I'm not a member of a
> group. Perhaps in my situation the only thing possible is to make my
> own custom setup...?

IIRC, forks inherit the CI configuration so you just have to
open MR against master on your own repository to have the CI
run. If it doesn't work, just go to the CI parameters to define
the path to extras/ci/gitlab-ci.yml and it should work.

No need for runner configuration.

Regards,
--
ALexandre Jannaiux