[vlc-devel] setting up CI

Lyndon Brown jnqnfe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 21:47:54 CEST 2020

On Thu, 2020-10-08 at 22:29 +0300, Martin Storsjö wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Oct 2020, Lyndon Brown wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2020-10-08 at 19:37 +0100, Lyndon Brown wrote:
> > > Ah, okay, I made a test MR against myself and indeed a pipeline
> > > has
> > > kicked in. I didn't realise that I needed to do that, I was
> > > expecting
> > > that it would just kick in when pushing [to] a branch like with
> > > the
> > > travis setup I have. Thanks! :D
> >
> > Now that that initial pipeline exists, the CI/CD page now offers
> > functionality to create ad-hoc pipelines for other branches without
> > MRs. It seems bad form from gitlab that it doesn't make this
> > available
> > until you've got one made via an MR :/
>
> The gitlab-ci.yml file contains this bit:
>
> # Common rules
> .base-template:
>      stage: build
>      only:
>          refs:
>              - merge_requests
>              - master at videolan/vlc
>
> If you remove the whole "only:" bit (in your own branch), the
> pipeline
> should run on any push to the branch.

Ok, but the point was that without having created any pipelines
previously, the page was only giving a link to a readme on how to setup
CI/CD. It was only after creating an MR against my own master
triggering a pipeline to be created, that the page was then changed to
one both listing existing pipelines and providing ad-hoc creation of
them. That functionality for ad-hoc creation should have been there
from the start, along with the 'getting started' link while the list
was empty. That way I would not have ended up stuck not knowing what to
do (since creating an MR against myself is not obvious).