[vlc-devel] [RFC] custom module capabilities

Lyndon Brown jnqnfe at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 17:49:20 CEST 2020

I'm currently working hard on rebasing a big chunk of work (~600
commits) that I'd produced early last year but never got around to
submitting until now.

I have a question that I might as well ask now.

One set of patches switches capabilities over to be enum based. (For
which there are advantages such as efficiency and catching mistakes).

I made an assumption at the time that there might be a valid argument
for keeping the ability for modules to use custom capabilities, which
would require that a string based mechanism remain alongside the new
enum based stuff. I thus built the solution accordingly.

It would obviously be neater of course if it were not necessary.

It would be helpful to get a concrete answer as to the need of such
"custom" string based capabilities. Did I do the right thing in keeping
this available? Or can I scrap it, going full enum?