[vlc-devel] [RFC: PATCH 1/2] libvlc: Add Rust API for writing modules in rust

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Sep 10 21:43:49 CEST 2020

	Hi,

Manually wrapping the API sounds like a lose-lose proposition, as not all core
developers know Rust in general, and/or Rust C bindings in particular, and you
cannot expect/require them to update Rust code. This raises two separate
questions:

1) Why are the bindings not generated automatically? Rust has tools
specifically for this purpose. VLC is not particularly heavy on preprocessor
macros so automatic binding generators should work just fine - or then, *they*
need to be fixed.

2) Who's in charge of updating the Rust modules when the core API changes? We
can't expect all developers of core patches to know Rust, and know it well
enough to update Rust code properly. FWIW, I believe that only a minority of
the TC knows Rust well at this point in time even, not to speak of the broader
vlc-devel active membership.

Professional (sponsored) developers may or may not be granted the time and
material to train any time soon. And hobbbyists - in particular, but not
limited, to TC members David, Denis and myself* - are potentially in an even
worse position. And this problem is _not_ on the same level of difficulty as
with C++ and Objectionable C.

(*) I did buy a Rust book out of my own pocket, but it's unclear if/when I'll
have the time to actually read and assimilate it, regardless of motivation.

--
Реми Дёни-Курмон
http://www.remlab.net/