[vlc-devel] Rust work (discussion)

Pierre Ynard linkfanel at yahoo.fr
Tue Sep 22 22:14:38 CEST 2020

> My desire for Rust stems primarily from the significant benefits
> for security that I recognise a modern language like Rust, and in
> particular Rust, has over C. VLC obviously is a very large and complex
> codebase, with a lot of code handling all sorts of complex input
> data, both from local files and network data streams. It is a prime
> candidate for benefiting from Rust in terms of security. VLC is my
> preferred video player, and I'd personally feel much happier after
> such a move. Ideally I want my kernel and entire userland switched
> over.

That's not how security works. There is no silver bullet or universal
tool, and you should be wary of people offering you one.

For example, there is a push to convert the entire web to HTTPS: that's
partly about security, and partly a power grab and market domination
strategy.

--
Pierre Ynard
"Une âme dans un corps, c'est comme un dessin sur une feuille de papier."