[vlc-devel] PATCHv3 0/4] YoutubeDL stream filter

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Sep 24 13:35:31 CEST 2020

Le torstaina 24. syyskuuta 2020, 10.16.26 EEST Pierre Ynard via vlc-devel a
écrit :
> So now that this is a stream filter, we can manage its priority towards
> other stream filters. But what about demuxes?

That's a well known preexisting limitation of the current input architecture,
which might be fixed later, and is IMO totally out of scope of this patchset.

> There are a few of them
> that call vlc_stream_NewURL(), in particular the adaptive demux that
> fetches m3u8 files with it.

You'd think it'd call vlc_access_NewMRL() instead. That sounds like a bug in
the adaptive demux.

> Also, if I understand correctly, the HTTP connection already established
> by the HTTP access isn't used. I'm not clear what happens to it, is it
> left dangling with nothing reading from it?

Yes, it will be left there.

In most cases, the web page is small enough to fit the cache, so this has no
external effects, other than wasting VLC memory in unused objects. If the page
is large, the TCP connection will time out.

That's suboptimal, but IMO it's as not bad as having the input item fail to
play because the URL is expired. I'm not sure people would want to add a new
access control just to optimise this corner case.

> Another point that comes to my mind now is that some websites require
> tweaking the HTTP user agent, or passing a correct referrer header. I
> assume youtube-dl knows what to do, and does it when downloading itself.
> It's probably possible to recover those parameters from youtube-dl's
> output, and set them on the HTTP access.

There are a lot of things that could be improved incrementally later, e.g.
Better format and language selection. And then YoutubeDL also has support for
subtitles, faking geolocation, authentication, etc.

--
レミ・デニ-クールモン
http://www.remlab.net/