[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] JSON representation and Javascript unescaping

Thomas Guillem thomas at gllm.fr
Mon Sep 28 15:52:17 CEST 2020

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020, at 15:26, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Hi,
>
> No. Code review would have changed exactly nothing here.
>
> I was never going to touch or use the awful existing JSON code. It's not just buggy, it's barely legible. And changing existing users is totally out of scope of the YoutubeDL patchset, in every way. What Alexandre said, again.

Avoiding code duplication is important. It's not a blocker but it's disputable. I don't see why developers should not touch at some part of the code.

> And it's pretty rich of somebody who claims to be a nice guy to single me out not once but twice.

I'm not a nice guy, I'm just dreaming of a perfect world where everyone goes through a proper review process.

> Congratulations because I'm even more disgusted and even less likely to go through code review onward, than I already was from other people's last week's obstructionism.

I don't see obstructionism, lot of people were interested, some of us didn't fully understand the implication of such patch (some us didn't even know that ytdl handled more than 100 sites and not only one). I was personally afraid of the performance consequence (but I was still very enthusiastic by your patch set).

In the end, your patches were merged in around one week, it looks like a decent review process to me.