[vlc-devel] [RFC] Remove SDL_image codec plugin?

Francois Cartegnie fcvlcdev at free.fr
Tue Sep 29 20:04:23 CEST 2020

Le 29/09/2020 à 19:51, Marvin Scholz a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if we can remove the SDL_image codec module (and
> therefore the SDL and
> SDL_image dependencies in contrib) as it seems most formats are
> supported anyway by

> so it might be needed in some special corner-cases but unfortunately its
> not
> documented what these specific BMPs are that ffmpeg can not handle so I am
> not sure how we could test if its still needed.

Their draft spec specified BMP as the file format for embedded images...
that's quite vague.

Anyway, we have only 1 USF sample, and it does not contain any
associated pictures. No one can tell.

I would just assume that ffmpeg had 12 years to handle properly those
BMP formats.

--
Francois Cartegnie
VideoLAN - VLC Developer