[vlc-devel] Socks5 proxy support of vlc.

Hongyi Zhao hongyi.zhao at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 15:58:16 UTC 2021

On Ubuntu 20.04, I compiled and installed the git master version of
vlc and I noticed the following option of vlc:

$ vlc -H |& grep -- '-socks '
      --socks <string>           SOCKS server

But it seems that this option doesn't work at all. In detail, even I
don't run the socks5 proxy, vlc doesn't report any error and still
runs smoothly as shown below:

$ curl -x socks5://192.168.0.2:18888 www.baidu.com
curl: (7) Unable to receive initial SOCKS5 response.

$ http_proxy='' cvlc -vv --socks 192.168.0.2:18888
https://auto.hyddns.xyz:8443/live/surveillance.m3u8

Any hints for this problem will be highly appreciated?

Regards
--
Assoc. Prof. Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao at gmail.com>
Theory and Simulation of Materials