[vlc-devel] Out-of-tree compilation: seeking clarification

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 16:49:21 UTC 2021

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 2:46 AM Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> Open and Close are easy enough to understand, but I'm a bit confused
> about Run. Not all interface modules have a Run function, and when I
> created one, the compiler flagged it as unused, suggesting that
> there's something more to be done here. Using other modules as
> examples - as the wiki suggests - left me even more confused:
>
> gestures.c, win_msg.c - no Run function
> hotkeys.c - no Run, but an AutoRun, which is a submodule
> lirc.c - Run function spawned explicitly from Open via vlc_clone
> netsync.c - submodule, same as hotkeys
> ntservice.c - Run spawned from Activate, not Open
>
> They're nearly all different. Is AutoRun the best way to do this?
> Should the wiki be updated? Is there some other way to do this?

Further research into the git commit history suggests that AutoRun may
be extremely new (late 2020), so it's unlikely to be supported on my
Debian-provided VLC and probably not best for the wiki either. But I'm
still stuck on whether explicit spawning is the proper way to do it,
or if there's something else happening. The current wording in the
wiki definitely describes Run as an entrypoint.

ChrisA