[vlc-devel] Migration to Merge Requests

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sun May 9 19:21:31 UTC 2021

On Sun, 9 May 2021, at 20:48, Pierre Ynard via vlc-devel wrote:
> git.videolan.org's GitWeb can offer an alternative to some of GitLab's
> shortcomings. Well how about we disable push access and make it
> automatically pull from code.videolan.org?

Please do the script for that.

> When a new merge request is open, would it be possible to also send
> email notifications about it? It's already a common convenience feature
> that when you receive a bug tracker ticket update notification by
> email, you can simply reply to that email to comment; it doesn't seem
> far-fetched to have this for merge request reviews too?

It's already the case, if you follow the repo.

> Can we get an update on the effort to alleviate the two-factor
> authentication requirement? Also, if I remember correctly, when getting
> on board with code.videolan.org, the redirection to the 2FA page really
> blocks you from doing anything while logged in until you deal with it.
> That's not great UX. Perhaps we can alleviate this too?

The bug is upstream on gitlab. Feel free to bump it.

> Could we have this 2FA page document or link to a wiki page or something
> giving instructions and recommended options, in particular for people
> without smartphones or 2FA devices? E.g. oathtool and how to set it
> up? I didn't mind asking questions on this mailing list last time, but
> really this should have been documented to me better.

Edit a wiki page for that. Please document it.

> > > I surmise that this implements and takes the place of the mandatory
> > > code review process. Is it still cool to post, review and process
> > > patches through the mailing list?
> >
> > Send a MR by email.
> > See the email at the bottom of the MR page.
>
> Instructions unclear: it gives me an email address to send to without
> explaining what the contents should be. I only know how to send commit
> patches by email, one per email; I don't know how to send merge request
> emails.

Send the patches attached to your email to that address...

> Also, I need to be logged in with an account + 2FA to access this
> feature.

It's always the same address.

> How about my patch gets processed on the mailing list instead?

How about no?

> > Unless you are maintainer (meaning TC+roots), you cannot push
> > directly.
>
> And who's this? What's roots, sysadmins? Are there policy reasons
> around this? Can it be openly documented, or is it like for now, an
> unspecified circle and unspecified technical circumstances to be
> allowed to bypass the mandatory GitLab MR workflow? This is meant as a
> suggestion for improvement, but it threads with the heaviness of the
> mandatory workflow.

Click on members, and you will see that.

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf -  President
+33 672 704 734